About Us
Please use the tabs above, or learn more about the History of St. Pauls Lutheran Church below.
1907:
Eleven charter members of St. John’s Lutheran Church in Orange begin to organize a new congregation and school in Olive.
April, 1907:
First church building purchased for $500
September 7, 1907:
First sermon delivered by Pastor August Berner
September 7, 1908:
St. Paul’s Christian Day School, first day of school
November 3, 1912:
Ground-breaking for new sanctuary
1923:
Congregation begins to have two Sunday worship services—one in German, one in English
April 17, 1932:
Congregation celebrates its 25th anniversary. 600 in attendance.
1947:
Congregation votes to close the school for lower grades due to low enrollment and inability to find a teacher
1952:
Christian Day School reopens
1956:
Relocation committee appointed to find a new site for the growing church and school
1957:
5.5 acre site at Heim and Canal purchased for $33,000. Congregation moves from Olive to Orange.
1962:
Present sanctuary constructed
1965:
Property in Olive sold for $75,000
August 5, 1973:
Pastor Ron Martin ordained and installed as Senior Pastor
1981:
St. Paul’s Extended Day Care (now “School Age Care” or “SAC”) established to provide after-school care for children with working parents
1985:
Heim Elementary school (two blocks west of the sanctuary) purchased from the Orange Unified School District for $1.8 million. School moves to Heim campus. Early Childhood Development Center (ECDC) opens in previous school facility.
1999:
Six acres purchased across the street from the sanctuary for $4.9 million.
2000:
First outdoor service held on Easter Sunday
2002:
Congregation sells three acres of the Heim and Canal property
September 7, 2014:
Pastor Scott Christenson installed as Senior Pastor
September 8, 2019:
Kick-off of the “Building For The Future” campaign to raise money for a sanctuary renovation and to build the school Endowment Fund for Tuition Assistance.
January 8, 2022:
Closing of the Sanctuary for renovation work. Congregation has worship in the church gym and school Event Center for the next year.
February 26, 2023:
Sanctuary Re-dedication worship service






