About Us » History



Eleven charter members of St. John’s Lutheran Church in Orange begin to organize a new congregation and school in Olive.

April, 1907   First church building purchased for $500

September 7, 1907   First sermon delivered by Pastor August Berner


September 7, 1908  St. Paul’s Christian Day School, first day of school


November 3, 1912   Ground-breaking for new sanctuary


1923               Congregation begins to have two Sunday worship services—one in German, one in English


April 17, 1932            Congregation celebrates its 25th anniversary.  600 in attendance.


1947               Congregation votes to close the school for lower grades due to low enrollment and inability to find a teacher


1952               Christian Day School reopens


1956               Relocation committee appointed to find a new site for the growing church and school


1957               5.5 acre site at Heim and Canal purchased for $33,000.  Congregation moves from Olive to Orange.


1962               Present sanctuary constructed


1965               Property in Olive sold for $75,000


August 5, 1973           Pastor Ron Martin ordained and installed as Senior Pastor


1981               St. Paul’s Extended Day Care (now “School Age Care” or “SAC”) established to provide after-school care for children with working parents


1985               Heim Elementary school (two blocks west of the sanctuary) purchased from the Orange Unified School District for $1.8 million.   School moves to Heim campus.  Early Childhood Development Center (ECDC) opens in previous school facility.


1999               Six acres purchased across the street from the sanctuary for $4.9 million.


2000               First outdoor service held on Easter Sunday


2002               Congregation sells three acres of the Heim and Canal property


September 7, 2014  Pastor Scott Christenson installed as Senior Pastor


September 8, 2019   Kick-off of the “Building For The Future” campaign to raise money for a sanctuary renovation and to build the school Endowment Fund for Tuition Assistance.


January 8, 2022    Closing of the Sanctuary for renovation work.   Congregation has worship in the church gym and school Event Center for the next year.


February 26, 2023   Sanctuary Re-dedication worship service